Saturday, June 29, 2013

Poverty Stricken

“Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault. But you must continue to believe this truth and stand firmly in it. Don't drift away from the assurance you received when you heard the Good News.” Colossians 1:22-23

To believe this truth and stand firmly in it, I must be totally and absolutely emptied of self. Poverty stricken. I’ve known this theologically since I’ve been a Christian…almost 35 years. I’ve preached it, taught it, tried to live it but my meager attempts were all wrong. There was little room for grace. I was too hard on myself when I didn’t “live up to the expectations” of the religious people I was surrounded by. Even my own efforts to be good and do the right thing always came up short. I feel like I can never measure up. That is such a difficult place to be. I wasn’t standing firm in the truth that Jesus; because of His shed blood, sinless life, and taking on my sin; is the One whom all my righteousness is cloaked. I was living on my own merits….wearing my own “good deed doer” cloak. You would think after 35 years of this “knowledge,” I would have walked in the truth of His grace. NOTHING I do that is good will ever be good enough. The prophet Isaiah said it: Isaiah 64:6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. And the apostle Paul said it: Romans 3:9-12, 18 “… for we have already shown that all people, whether Jews or Gentiles, are under the power of sin.  As the Scriptures say, ‘No one is righteous-not even one. No one is truly wise; no one is seeking God. All have turned away; all have become useless. No one does good, not a single one.’… They have no fear of God at all.’"

Now I am beginning to be free from the bondage of the cloak of “good deed doer.” Jesus dealt with my sin once and for all on the Cross. I am beginning to live in His grace…His righteousness…His freedom. Now this doesn’t mean I can do whatever I want and God will forgive me (of course He will!). What it does mean is that love is my motivation to wear His cloak. To live in His cloak and never take it off. Love others in this cloak (whether or not they love me). Judge not in this cloak. Serve others in this cloak.  Be gracious in this cloak. Be merciful in this cloak. Forgive in this cloak. Be compassionate in this cloak. Be thankful for all things in this cloak. Jesus’ cloak of righteousness will always be pure. And that frees me from becoming a people pleaser to live for an audience of One. I may get dirty, but His cloak is pure and righteous and holy and still covers me. The Father sees me in the righteous, blood soaked cloak of Jesus…no matter how smelly my undergarments may become.


Brennan Manning writes about this poverty: “The awareness of our innate poverty, that we were created from the clay of the earth and the kiss of God’s mouth, that we came from dust and shall return to dust, pulls away the mask of prestige, of knowledge, of social class, or of strength—whatever it is we use to command attention and respect…Poverty of spirit breaks through our human pretenses, freeing us from the shabby sense of spiritual superiority and the need to stand well with persons of importance…Poverty brings us to the awareness of the sovereignty of God and our absolute insufficiency. We simply cannot do anything alone. Any growth or progress in the spiritual life cannot be traced to our paltry efforts. All is the work of grace…I am convinced that without a gut level experience of our profound spiritual emptiness, it is not possible to encounter the living God.”

No comments:

Post a Comment