Saturday, January 7, 2017

Pile Drivers of Life


December 30, 2016
Florida State Road 87 is what I drive to work every day. It is currently under construction and that includes about a one mile Yellow River Bridge expansion. (I know…it’s really called Yellow River Bridge and it wasn’t built by I.P. Daily!!)

I have been fascinated to watch the bridge expansion develop. They position these huge concrete support beams (up to 75 feet high) into the river by a crane that sits on a barge. Then the beams are pounded into the river about 30-40 (maybe more) feet deep by a pile driver. The other day as I was driving by, I heard the sound of that pile driver pounding against a beam as it was driving it into the riverbed. It was a booming noise.

Then I thought about the “pile drivers” in life.

Sometimes I feel like that beam getting pounded into the muck and mire of life. There seems to be no end. The pain is excruciating. And then the pounding stops. Little did I know that God was using that pounding to not only plunge me into a deeper relationship with Him, but to prepare me to be the bridge that supports those on their journey who need to get to the “other side” safely. Not unlike Simon and Garfunkel’s song, “Bridge Over Troubled Waters,” I will lay me down to support that “bridge.” Don't fear the pounding! We must always be willing to support others on their journey. Thanks to those who have been my support through the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment