Sunday, July 14, 2013

FAITHFUL LOVE

Psalm 138:8 – “The LORD will work out his plans for my life - for your faithful love, O LORD, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for you made me.

This verse seems like a dichotomy. On one hand, David has the faith to know that God will work out His plans for his life because he knows in the depth of his being that God’s faithful love endures forever. Then obviously he is concerned that God has the potential to abandon him. This is what I love about the humanness of the Psalms! David’s vulnerability, authenticity and bare naked truth telling are beautiful traits of which I have an unfathomable longing. Deep down I can’t help but wonder if David knew in own soul that God would never abandon him, even though he pleads with God not to leave him to his own devices, and even worse, the devices of those who don’t like him.

In the depths of my being I know that God will work out His plans for my life. He is sovereign. He knows. He is God. I am not. And I am happy with that. I have seen firsthand God’s faithfulness in my life and in so many lives of people I know personally. Through tragedy, suffering, loss, pain, and all that life throws at me, I can say with Job, “I know that my Redeemer lives.” (19:25) And that is enough for me. I am also convinced of His faithful love. FAITHFUL LOVE. I’ve been chewing on these two words for days. Faithful…God’s love is absolutely trustworthy. His faithful love has been a constant in all my successes, failures, loneliness, hopes and dreams, family and friends, victories and defeats, betrayal…in life. And I KNOW that He will never abandon me. Even if people are not faithful or loving, it doesn’t matter because God is both. We desperately need godly people today who are filled with faithful love. Love that I know is true and committed and real and unconditional. 

There’s a huge difference between “love” and “faithful love.” “Love” will abandon. Faithful love won’t. I “love” pizza but I’m not faithful to it. Faithful love stands with you in all the ups and downs of life. God loves me no matter what. He loves me period. He may not be pleased with me all the time, but His love never changes! I’m not always pleased with my children similarly to the way I’m sure my dad was not always pleased with me. But one thing my children know is that I love them period. No matter what they’ve done doesn’t change one iota my love for them. I love them for who they are (my children) not what they are or for what they do or don’t do. And they know how much I love them and how I will always support them and “have their backs.” How much more a loving Heavenly Father loves us!! This sacred, passionate, reckless, unbridled, eternal, scandalous, unconditional love is true and amen. 

I have never been motivated by money, almost to a fault, and I am learning to be satisfied with what I have and who I am in Christ. GRACE. Upon my recent move almost a year ago, filling 5 dumpsters of accumulated “stuff” and 3 trucks of donated goods were some of the most liberating things I ever did. Whoever said, “He who dies with the most toys wins” was a liar. What really counts in life is far beyond what we accumulate in this life. Hebrews 13:5-6, Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.’  So we can say with confidence, ‘The LORD is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?"

I can never shake my fist with questions of “why.” Knowing that most of them might never be answered this side of heaven. I will not fear the future, knowing that as He has been, He is there already.

The bottom line is that I am content with the faithful love, verdicts, and direction of my Master.


No comments:

Post a Comment