Sunday, July 21, 2013

Torn Up Game Plan

Psalm 143:4-8 4 I am losing all hope; I am paralyzed with fear. 5 I remember the days of old. I ponder all your great works and think about what you have done. 6 I lift my hands to you in prayer. I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain…7 Come quickly, LORD, and answer me, for my depression deepens. Don't turn away from me, or I will die. 8 Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you. Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you. 

Yes…I have felt like I have lost all hope, was paralyzed with fear, contemplated on the past, lifted my hands (and heart) in prayer, and thirsted for God. And yet it seems indeed like my depression deepens, my trust wavers, my patience thinned. I feel like I have no direction, no plan, no peace. Oh how I need a sense of His unfailing love. A waterfall of renewal. A submergence of trust. “SHOW me where to walk. I give myself to You.” 

I want God to show me where to walk but so often I feel like I turn off His GPS. I want to walk this journey on my own. Yet deep down I know my need for Him because I get lost so easily. I don’t give myself fully to Him. I give myself conditionally and don’t take up my cross daily to follow Him. I hate that about me. I know He has an awesome plan for me but I can’t see it. Not even glimpses. And that’s when the depression deepens. It’s all about trust. 


Then, a few days later I read this by Brennan Manning:
Concretely, abandonment to the will of God consists of finding His purpose for you in all the people, events, and circumstances you encounter. If God tears up your beautiful game plan and leads you into a valley instead of onto a mountaintop, it is because He wants you to discover His plan, which is more beautiful than anything you or I could have dreamed up. The response of trust is, “Thank You  Jesus,” even if it is said through clenched teeth.”

God tore down my game plan…the perfect family, successful ministry, financial security. All of it gone. As if almost overnight. This isn’t self-pity (I know that all too well!) It’s just been the reality of my life in the past 6+ years since “Forgiven Ministries” was dissolved. It avalanched after that. It has been a long, hard, stressful road and through it all, I haven’t been very appreciating, so now…I thank you Jesus through clenched teeth and I lift my heart to you as King David did in Psalm 143:10-11 10 Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing. 11 For the glory of your name, O LORD, preserve my life. Because of your faithfulness, bring me out of this distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment