Tuesday, March 12, 2013

NIGHT VISION


Psalm 8:3
The past few days I can’t stop thinking of something that happened late last year. Last November I was temporarily living with Chris and Julie Mee in Monroe, NY (the most gracious hosts ever!!). One night Chris and I were outside with Jack (his dog) on top of the hill where his house is perched. On that night, the sky was mesmerizing with brilliant stars. Even Venus was clear as we looked at millions of stars with the naked eye. They were in stark contrast to the darkness of the “beyond.”  Not unlike our souls! Comparatively speaking, just that fact in and of itself, made me feel so small and insignificant. So…Chris ran inside and retrieved his night vision scope (don’t ask!)…and this is the real deal, night vision scope…military grade…seriously. When he gets back, he hands me the scope and I put the over my right eye. My breath was taken away! I now saw BILLIONS of more stars unseen just moments before. The awesomeness of the myriad of billions of dynamic brightness was almost blinding and numbing. Not unlike the new soul in Christ! The blazing Light is there…but sometimes we hide it in the darkness. Very humbling. I stood and gazed. I felt like a little kid seeing July 4th Fireworks for the first time…while unashamedly acting like one!  It truly was indescribable. I saw the awesomeness and power of this amazing, personal, relevant, eternal God.

And in all my insignificance, I couldn’t help think of Psalm 8:3. “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?” God IS mindful of me?! Mind blowing. We are never alone! Such awesome love!

And then I was reminded of one of my favorite verses -- Zephaniah 3:17 – “For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty savior. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.”  
This amazing, personal, relevant, eternal God, delights in and rejoices over this imperfect worm of a man living in the joy of His grace and mercy! We are not small and insignificant! We are His sons and daughters!
FEB 21, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment