Thursday, March 14, 2013

Self-Examination: Reality questions we need to answer.


Romans 8:5-17 (Read the passage)

This passage really hit me yesterday morning. How many of us would admit that our hearts and minds are obviously torn, separated by the chasm of only 18 or so inches between brain and heart? Is it that hard to let the Spirit control our minds when all we seemingly have are the conflicts of our thoughts? Do you feel as if you are losing the battle for your mind and “death” looms in the doorway? God warns us the same warning as Cain – “You will be accepted if you do what is right. But if you refuse to do what is right, then watch out! Sin is crouching at the door, eager to control you. But you must subdue it and be its master.” (Genesis 4:7)

Subdue sin. Let it not be our master. Not so easy is it? We need to cry out, “When, Oh God, will my mind and heart operate in harmony? Help me to make every thought captive and obedient to You.”

Here is the struggle from Romans 8:5-8 – “Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. So letting your sinful nature control your mind leads to death. But letting the Spirit control your mind leads to life and peace. For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God’s laws, and it never will. That’s why those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God.

REALITY CHECK QUESTIONS: Am I watching out? Am I not doing or thinking what is right? Is my mind is not renewed? Is it filled with garbage and the delicacies of the world and the flesh? Is my heart (the desire to please God) totally at odds with my mind. Will I cry out, “When, Oh God, will the two operate in harmony?” Will I admit that I desperately need a breakthrough…a mental enema?

Jesus cried out, “Anyone who is thirsty may come to me! Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’” (John 7:37)

Take the time to drink in Jesus. Let His river of living water flow…washing out all the impurities of the delicacies of the world and the flesh, filling you by His Spirit with life-saving and life-giving water. Allow this living water to flow from within you to splash upon everyone God brings across your path. Drink of the Spirit. Be consumed. Drown in the living water.

No comments:

Post a Comment